Easy, Delicious Dal and Mixed Vegetable Medley (Sabzi)
-by Nari Soundarrajan(Author's note: originally published in Dec 2011, Recipe is from 2002, Republished by popular request)
Accompanies any carbohydrate staple such as: Naan, roti, steamed rice, quinoa etc.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 people)
Vegetables; their preparation
Red pepper 1 Cut to slender pieces 1 inch long[Note: the use of red colored peppers and green zuccini and yellowish potaoes with red tomatoes gives the dish a very pleasing colorful look. Feel free to experiment with cauliflower, aubergines, yellow peppers, okra or carrots too to impart other colors]
Potatoes or sweet potatoes 1 Chop to small 1 inch blocks, microwave soft
with 2-3 tbsp water
Zuccini squash 1 Chop to 1/2 inch sized bits
Green chilis 2 Chop to small 1/4 inch bits
Cilantro 2-3 stalks Chop fine, or pinch to small pieces
Onions (medium) 1 Chop fine or slice into long thin pieces
Tomatoes 2 Chop into 1 inch sized thin slices
(or use 1 small can of paste)
Note: tsp = teaspoon; tbsp = tablespoonCOOKING INSTRUCTIONS
Cumin seed 1 tsp
Cinnamon 1/4 tsp
Garam masala/curry powder 1 to 1 1/2 tsp
Garlic cloves (optional) 1 or 2 chopped fine or minced
Ginger (optional) 1 inch piece chopped fine or minced
Asafoetida powder ½ tsp
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup water or vegetable broth
1. In a skillet or wok heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add the cumin seeds, as they start browning, add onions. (don’t let cumin blacken)
3. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are golden, ~ about 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat a little, stir in the garlic, ginger and green chilis and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 mins. (optional)
6. Add the cauliflower and carrots, and stir for 1 min. Sprinkle some water.
7. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir once in 3-4 minutes lightly to prevent charring at the bottom.
8. Season with salt. Add the cilantro, switch off the heat and cover with the lid. When you open again, the flavor would be really uplifting.
9. Spoon the rice into individual soup bowls and top with the curry. Serve immediately.